Saturday, October 8, 2016

Remembering Smarties

Recently I picked up some candy coated chocolate drops while shopping. They reminded me very strongly of "Smarties", a popular children's candy in Germany.

One morning, after having had the candy lying in our kitchen for a few days, I woke up with a strong urge to bake a marble cake and decorate it with the candy. Checking in with my Mom confirmed my suspicion that we used to do this when I was little. I do not have a proper cake pan for the marble cake as I remember it, so it was baked in a bread pan. There was also some experimenting with the chocolate coating, which was needed to make the Smarties stick to the cake. I have been trying to get a tasty and functional chocolate coating for a while, but have not figured out the correct mix of chocolate and fat yet. For the record: 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and 100g 70% chocolate is too thin. I still managed to make the smarties stick to the cake, but the cake could not be touched (and eaten) for the rest of the day on which it was made, to allow the coating to dry somewhat.

Marble cake decorated with candy coated chocolate drops

No comments:

Post a Comment