Monday, November 21, 2016

Coconut Loaf Cake

I have been trying several coconut cakes in the past, and while most were pretty good, I never found the perfect one - until now. This is a very simple "Rührkuchen" (similar to a pound cake) that is moist, has a great crust and an amazing coconut taste.
The picture did not turn out too good, and definitely does not do the cake justice. 

I do believe most of the great taste is due to the coconut greek yoghurt I used, but it could also just be the right combination of butter, flour, sugar and coconut. Baking this cake was a bit of a "let's see what we have and mix it all together" thing. For example I ran out of regular sugar and ended up using about 1/2 cup powdered sugar, and the triple sec has been standing in our kitchen for a while and I simply decided I need to start using our alcohol that no one drinks. With all the powdered sugar I was not sure about using all sweetened coconut, so I used a mix of sweetened and unsweetened. Here is the recipe:

1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar (used half regular, half powdered)
3 eggs
1 cup flour
1/2 cup corn starch
1 cup shredded coconut (half sweetened, half unsweetened)
150g coconut greek yoghurt (=1/2cup)
dash of salt, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
generous dash of triple sec (~2 tbsp?)

Bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for ~60 min.

No comments:

Post a Comment